Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Help?

Call Toll-Free Within North America

TRP Canada

Canada immigration lawyer focused on helping Americans apply for a Temporary Resident Permit so they can travel to Canada with a criminal record. We offer free comprehensive consultations (unlike many businesses who demand a retainer before assessing your options).

Can You Travel to Canada with a Felony or Misdemeanor Traffic Violation?

Most traffic offenses are called "infractions" and are not considered a crime. In many states, however, a traffic violation can become a misdemeanor or felony traffic offense when it results in the destruction of property or causes bodily injury, or creates a substantive threat of doing either. For example, going through a red light is a driving infraction, but running a red light at a busy intersection and hitting a car might be a misdemeanor. If a passenger of that vehicle dies as a result of the collision, the offense could become a felony.

The most common misdemeanor traffic offenses are:

  • driving while drunk (DUI/DWI)
  • driving without car insurance
  • drag or street racing
  • leaving the scene of an accident
  • driving with a suspended or revoked license
  • reckless driving
  • fleeing or trying to elude the Police
  • speeding >30mph in excess of the speed limit

The most common felony traffic offenses are:

  • repeat drunk driving convictions (DUI/DWI)
  • vehicular homicide
  • hit and run

Any individual who has been arrested or convicted of a misdemeanor or felony traffic violation may be criminally inadmissible to Canada. If it has been less than ten years since completion of the full sentence for the offense (including probation and payment of all fines), the person may need to overcome their criminal inadmissibility with a Canada Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or Criminal Rehabilitation in order to enter the country. A Canada TRP can enable a person to cross the border for a specified amount of time, while Criminal Rehab is a permanent solution that can permit an individual to cross the border for the rest of their life.

For traffic infractions that equate to serious crimes in Canada, such as anything impaired driving related, even after ten years the person can still be at risk of a border denial. As of December 2018, a DUI is considered a major criminal conviction in Canada. Consequently, any traffic offense that equates to intoxicated driving in Canada, even if it is not a criminal conviction, can now render a person criminally inadmissible to Canada for life. This means a person with no criminal record but a single DWAI in New York or DWI in New Jersey can be denied entry at the border regardless of how old the incident is.

If you have a felony or misdemeanor traffic violation on your record and want to travel to Canada, phone our team now for a free consultation.

How Can We Help?

If you have any arrests or convictions on your record and need to visit Canada, call us today or fill out this form! 24 Hour Response Time!