Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Help?

Call Toll-Free Within North America

TRP Canada

Canada immigration lawyer focused on helping Americans apply for a Temporary Resident Permit so they can travel to Canada with a criminal record. We offer free comprehensive consultations (unlike many businesses who demand a retainer before assessing your options).

Crossing the Canadian Border with a Gun

Weapons are very strictly controlled in Canada, and all visitors bringing guns into the country must declare them in writing at the border via a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form. Individuals crossing the Canadian border must declare any firearms and weapons to Customs officials, and any illegal or undeclared weapons will be seized and never returned.

There are three classes of guns in Canada:

Non-restricted firearms - most normal hunting rifles and shotguns fit into this category, and are allowed to be transported into Canada by an adult on a temporary basis for sporting or hunting use (including personal protection against wildlife in remote areas). Transporting firearms through Canada is not difficult if they fit this classification, as non-restricted guns can also be brought into the country by people who are driving through Canada to or from Alaska.

Restricted firearms - most handguns fall into this category, but other weapons such as pepper spray and mace can also be included. A restricted firearm can be transported into the country provided the individual has obtained in advance an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit from a Provincial Chief Firearms Officer. A Firearms Declaration Form must be signed in front of a border officer, and a $50 fee must also be paid at Customs. This declaration will act as a temporary registration and license certificate valid for 60 days, and can be renewed for free for as long as 12 months.

Prohibited firearms - assault-type weapons, fully automatic or converted automatic guns and handguns with a barrel length in excess of 4 inches are part of this category. Certain knives are also included in this category, including automatic knives such as "switchblades" and "butterfly knives" (it does not matter if they will be used for hunting or fishing).

Any visitor who plans to borrow a gun while in the country must obtain a Temporary Firearms Borrowing License in advance, and have it signed by border agents and pay a $30 fee at Customs. The good news is that going to Canada with a gun generally involves a lot less paperwork than entering Canada with felony convictions on your criminal record.

Traveling to Canada to go hunting? If you have a criminal record (including DUI and marijuana possession), you may be considered criminally inadmissible and denied entry at the Canadian border. Any criminally inadmissible foreign national with a DUI/DWI arrest or conviction may need to overcome their inadmissibility with a Canada Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or Criminal Rehabilitation. Americans who are declaring a firearm at the Canadian border are almost guaranteed to have a background check run on them, so if you have an impaired driving offense in your past and plan to go on a hunting trip in Canada you should expect to get flagged at the border. Click here to learn more about Canada DUI entry, or phone our immigration law firm today for a free consultation.

How Can We Help?

If you have any arrests or convictions on your record and need to visit Canada, call us today or fill out this form! 24 Hour Response Time!